Fragment of an Altar with the Figures of Three Men
|Object type||winged altar|
|Medium, technique||pinewood retable shrine; carved, painted and gilded limewood figures|
180 x 218 x 31 cm
|On view||This artwork is on view at the permanent exhibition|
This winged altarpiece was carved and painted in Kaufbeuren in Allgäu around 1515, and once stood in the village church of Hinterkirch in South Tyrol. Its master, Jörg Lederer produced many altars for churches in South Tyrol. Master Lederer executed the carved part of these altars in a style resembling Swabian sculpture of the late 15th century. In the central part of the Hinterkirch-altarpiece, under three arcades, the Virgin and Child is depicted in-between St Nicholas and Mary Magdalene. The wings illustrate a scene each from the legend of these saints. The relief on the predella depicts the death of the Virgin. On the outside of the wings, there is a painted Annunciation, whose painter was far less skilled than the sculptor of the altar was.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.