Roundel with a Bird Couple
36 × 12 × 7 cm
|On view||This artwork is on view at the permanent exhibition|
The Hungarian National Museum purchased this gilded alabaster sculpture in 1836, as part of the first collection of the art collector and historian, Count Miklós Jankovich. A hundred years later the statuette was transferred to the Museum of Fine Arts where it is still held today. The influence of the ivory statuettes that became popular in the fourteenth century can be felt in this artwork’s refined and uniform composition. Mary’s numinous face, her contemplative smile, and her whole being radiate the spirituality of the Christian journey through life. Thus, although the original function of the work is unknown, it was likely produced as an object of private devotion, possibly as part of a tabernacle or an altar. The creator of this small masterpiece was probably the sculptor and goldsmith Andrea Pisano, who was working on the bronze gate of the Florentine Baptistry around this time. The reliefs made for the bronze gate show a close affinity with the statuette.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.