Virgin and Child
|Date||1339 (original), 1909 (cast)|
|Object type||plaster cast|
|Medium, technique||plaster cast|
550 × 274 × 168 cm
|On view||Star Fortress (Komárom), Monumental Plaster Casts, Colleoni Hall|
Carved from Carrara marble, the sepulchre commemorates Saint Peter of Verona, the Dominican friar who died a martyr’s death in the thirteenth century. It was installed at the saint’s final resting place in the Basilica of Sant’Eustorgio, Milan, in 1339. The tomb was made by the sculptor Giovanni di Balduccio, whose work was influenced by the Pisan Nicola (Nicola Pisano). Eight columns support the Gothic sarcophagus, with allegorical figures of the eight virtues standing in front of them. The sides of the sarcophagus are decorated with scenes depicting the death, burial, canonisation, and miracles of the saint. Under the triple baldachin forming the crown of the coffin, we see the Virgin and Child with Saint Dominic and Saint Peter Martyr.
Commissioned by the museum in 1909, the cast was made by Carlo Campi in Milan. It was exhibited in the Romanesque Hall in 1911.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.