Tomb of Lorenzo de’ Medici
On the Tomb of Konrad Gross
|Date||ca. 1356 (original), 1907 (cast)|
|Object type||plaster cast|
|Medium, technique||plaster cast|
67.5 × 33 × 19 cm
|On view||This artwork is not on display|
Konrad Gross (ca. 1280 – 1356) was a wealthy resident of Nuremberg and a member of the town council. After his death in Bamberg in 1356, his tomb was erected in the church of Heilig-Geist-Spital (Holy Spirit Hospital) in Nuremberg, which he founded, and now it can be seen in the cloister of the hospital building. The lying figure of the deceased is surrounded by pleurants (eight mourning figures) in contemporary attire, bearing the red marble slab covering the tomb. The master was presumably one of the decorative sculptors who also worked on the west façade of Saint Laurence Church in Nuremberg. Plaster casts were not made of the entire table monument, but only of some of its mourning figures.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.