Virgin and Child with Saint John the Baptist
|Date||12th century (original), 1905 (cast)|
|Object type||plaster cast|
|Medium, technique||plaster cast|
41 × 130 cm
|On view||Museum of Fine Arts, Ground Floor, Romanesque Hall|
Capital of a half-column decorated with palm leaves and birds with their necks interwoven, from the cathedral of Gyulafehérvár (today Alba Iulia, Romania). Decorated with figural and foliage ornamentation, these Romanesque capitals date from the twelfth- and thirteenth-century period of the so-called second cathedral.
Commissioned by the museum in 1905, the cast was made by József Reichenberger in Budapest. It was built into the pillar of the Romanesque Hall in 1910.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.