The Sorrowful Virgin Mary
|Date||early 17th century|
41.5 × 19.5 × 15 cm
|On view||Museum of Fine Arts, Ground Floor, Baroque Hall|
The elegant pair of baroque angels (see also inv. 60.10) may have been made in Rome in the second or third decade of the seventeenth century. Presumably, they were modelled after the Caryatidstatues of Pietro Bernini (1611–1612), which embellish the Cappella Paolina Borghesiana of the church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. The richly cascading drapery, thevoluminous locks of hair falling over the forehead, andthe characteristic gesture of the hand placed on the chest denote the influence of the circle of Bernini in Rome. Similar pairs of sculptures that serve a practical functionas a candlestick are exhibited in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.
Balogh, Jolán, Katalog der ausländischen Bildwerke des Museums der bildenden Künste in Budapest, IV – XVIII. Jahrhundert: 1. Textband Bd. 1, Akadémiai Kiadó, Budapest, 1975, p. 181., no. 246.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.