Adoration of the Child
|Date||second half of the 15th century|
62 × 38 × 15 cm, 40 kg
|On view||This artwork can be displayed at the permanent exhibition|
This marble relief was first considered to be Umbrian work. It is more likely, however, to be connected to the Bologna school. Stylistically, it is closest to the Bolognese sculptor Niccolò dell’Arca’s terracotta statue of the Madonna, known as the Madonna di Piazza which was created in 1478 for the façade of Bologna’s City Hall, the Palazzo d’Accursio. The Bologna origin of the marble relief is also reinforced by the parallels in painting: this type of contemplative Virgin is related to the Madonnas by the Bolognese painter Francesco Francia (1447–1517). The first words of the Hail Mary can be seen on the parapet: AVE MARIA GRACIA PLENA.