Standing Female Figure
|Date||second half of the 14th century|
|Medium, technique||painted willow-wood|
152 × 47 × 40 cm
|On view||This artwork is on view at the permanent exhibition|
One of the earliest Virgin and Child sculptures of the Collection is quite peculiar as its original gilding and applied decoration is still well preserved. The fashion of dressing up sculptures in precious laces, silk and brocade clothes for significant
ecclesiastic feasts emerged in the Middle Ages and became widespread in the baroque period. The crown of the Virgin and the robe of the Child probably were partially removed in the baroque period, so that they could be clothed. In view of the strong similarity to the Madonnas of Allegretto Nuzi (1316/20−73/74), a painter from Fabriano who was influenced by Sienese art, the sculpture in Budapest was most likely carved by someone in his circle.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.