Reliquary altarpiece with the picture of the Virgin and Child, on the wings Saint Catherine and Saint Barbara from the Piarist monastery in Trencsén (today Trenčín, Slovakia)
Old Hungarian Collection
|Medium, technique||canvas, oil|
image: 98 × 128.5 cm
|Collection||Old Hungarian Collection|
|On view||This artwork is on view at the permanent exhibition|
Originally from Eperjes (today Prešov, Slovakia), Jakab Bogdány settled in England in 1688, after studying in Vienna and Holland. His work became very popular in his new home, especially in the most eminent royal circles. The majority of his works today are found in England, often in their original locations, built into the wood panelling of castles.
Bogdány’s characteristic works were still lifes with birds and bird paintings which depicted the inhabitants of the then fashionable royal aviaries, in particular unusual birds with colourful plumage. In this painting, the exotic company of birds and the piled fruits are placed in an elegant castle park. The birds with their colourful, decorative feathers appear as noble characters of a genre scene, engaged in conversation. The painter’s observation of birdhouses allowed him to produce this accurate and naturalistic depiction of these creatures.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.