123 × 38 × 25 cm
|On view||Museum of Fine Arts, First Floor, European Art 1250-1600, Gallery XV|
The limewood figure, who used to be identified as Saint George, is wearing a knight’s armour and an open frog-mouth helm with holes. He is holding a shield in his left hand and a flag in his right. In view of the absence of further attributes, a precise iconographic definition of the work is not possible. The statue may have once stood in the shrine of a winged altar, with a plaque aiding the identification of the portrayed figures. Based on the type of clothing, the meticulous nature of the carving, and known analogies, the statue was made in the Ulm workshop of Niklaus Weckmann around 1520.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.