|Date||1230s (original), 1909 (cast)|
|Object type||plaster cast|
|Medium, technique||plaster cast|
190 × 65 × 46 cm, 70 kg
|On view||This artwork is not on display|
Bamberg Cathedral, founded by Henry II, Holy Roman emperor (973–1024), was consecrated in 1012 and acquired its present form during several phases of construction. Its Gothic sculptural decoration dates from the time of the “third cathedral”, built under the direction of Bishop Eckbert and consecrated in 1327. The sandstone sculpture of Saint Elizabeth, dressed in classical attire – formally identified as Sibylla, among others – belongs to the decoration of the imperial cathedral’s east choir, dedicated to Saint George. Carved around 1230, it may have formed part of a Visitation group but, for some unknown reason, the figure of the Virgin was placed elsewhere in the church: it decorated one of the pillars of the cathedral’s north side aisle.
Commissioned by the museum in 1909, the cast was made by August Gerber in Cologne. In 1910 it was installed in the Romanesque Hall. Between 1997 and 2015 the copy was exhibited in the Library of the Museum of Fine Arts.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.