|Object type||wooden sculpture|
|Medium, technique||figure: pear-wood, branch and pedestal: walnut wood|
57 × 30 × 21 cm
|On view||Museum of Fine Arts, Second Floor, European Sculpture 1350-1800, Gallery 2|
The Venetian-born sculptor Giovanni Giuliani moved to Vienna at a young age. At first, he worked for the Austrian aristocracy, but later he withdrew to the Cistercian monastery of Heiligenkreuz. Whilst at Heiligenkreuz he no longer undertook secular commissions, devoting his work in sculpture entirely to the religious order. He introduced to Austria elements that were characteristic of Italian
late baroque sculpture, and Georg Raphael Donner became one of his disciples. Although the artist of the Saint Andrew statuette remains unknown, in terms of style and composition the piece has a close affinity to works by Giovanni Giuliani.
Although the figure and the decorative niche were made around the same time, it is evident from the way they are joined that they were assembled at a later point in time.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.