God the Father
|Date||early 16th century|
|Medium, technique||bronze with green patina|
29 × 9.5 × 16 cm, 2.5 kg
|On view||Museum of Fine Arts, Second Floor, European Sculpture 1350-1800, Gallery 2|
The large marble Apollo statue, found near Rome at the end of the 15th century,
is supposedly a Roman copy after the lost Greek original by Leochares. It was first erected in the garden of the church San Pietro in Vincoli in Rome. Then, in 1509, it was placed in a niche of the Cortile del Belvedere in the Vatican. From the moment of its discovery the statue was held in the highest esteem, and copied frequently in drawings, prints and sculptures. The Budapest Apollo is one of its earliest replicas, and it faithfully follows the details of the original. Still, the pose of Apollo was changed into a more dynamic movement.
This record is subject to revision due to ongoing research.